“To the best of my knowledge, the work is ongoing and it is fine”, Alakayi said, explaining that he visited the site of the project earlier in the day to speak to engineers who denied the reported collapse. “There was nothing to raise such an alarm because government has consultants to monitor the contractor”, he added.
Project coordinator, Arch. John Mlanga, told reporters during the visit, “My building did not collapse. The building is still there”, stressing that the firm has 30 years of robust work experience, a record which cannot be beaten by up to five construction firms in the country. He said the firm suspended work on reading the reports, but had to quickly mobilize back to site upon hearing that reporters were to be led to the site.
“We were embarrassed and decided to leave the site. Our name has been badly injured”, he added.
Reporters and officers at the Government House Press Centre as well as security men at the gate, all adjoining the site of the ongoing project, were shocked by a rumbling sound at the site Wednesday, and all rushed out to observe that a section of the ongoing work collapsed.